Tofu, Asparagus, and Mushroom Stir-Fry with a savory sauce is nutritious as it is delicious! This meatless dish cooks in minutes and makes a tasty side dish with steamed rice.
- Cooking tips
- Serving suggestions
- More tofu recipes
- Tofu, Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry
If you’re looking for an easy dish that’s not only delicious but also good for you, this tofu, asparagus, and mushroom stir-fry is your answer! It’s a meatless meal that’s high in protein and rich in nutrients.
We’re big meat eaters in our household, yet we hardly miss the meat. The delectable combination of soft tofu cubes, tender-crisp asparagus, and meaty shiitake mushrooms in a savory stir-fry sauce over steamed rice is so tasty and filling.
The best part is, this tofu and vegetable stir-fry cooks in minutes; you’ll have dinner ready in no time.
I used my tried and tested and ever trusted stir-fry sauce for this recipe, which has made a few delicious appearances on the blog as this beef and baby corn stir-fry and snow peas with shrimp stir-fry.
If you’re a fan of quick stir-fry meals, this sauce needs to be in your repertoire! Full-flavored and versatile, it’s liquid gold!
I used a vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce to make this tofu stir-fry a vegan dish. You can find this vegetarian version alongside the real stuff at most Asian grocery stores, or you can order from Amazon for convenient delivery.
- The recipe calls for firm tofu, but you substitute soft tofu if you prefer the texture and remember to stir gently to keep from falling apart.
- This a quick stir-fry so have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go. Cut them into uniform size for even cooking.
- For extra crunch, stir in 1/2 cup of roasted cashews during the last minute or two of cook time.
Tofu, Asparagus, and Mushroom stir-fry is a tasty and healthy side or main dish for lunch or dinner. Try it with brown rice for a meal you’ll feel good serving the whole family.
More tofu recipes
- Lugaw at Tokwa
- Lumpiang Prito
- Kangkong and Tofu with Oyster Sauce
- Lumpiang Hubad
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @pinoysflix.net on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch (about 2 cups) asparagus, ends trimmed and cut diagonally into 2-inch pieces
For the Stir-fry Sauce
- 1 cup water or liquid from soaking mushrooms
- 1/2 cup vegetarian mushroom oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (I use Kikkoman)
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
In a small bowl, cover mushrooms with warm water and soak for about 20 to 30 minutes or until soft.
Drain mushrooms and reserve 1 cup of the liquid if using. Cut off and discard stems. Cut caps into thin slices.
Drain tofu well and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
In a bowl, combine stir-fry sauce ingredients: water (liquid from soaking mushrooms), oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, sugar, cornstarch, and pepper. Stir until smooth and well-blended. Set aside.
In a wide skillet or wok over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
Add asparagus and cook, stirring regularly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until half-done.
Add mushrooms and cook for about 1 minute.
Add stir-fry sauce and bring to a simmer for about 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Add tofu and continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes or until tofu cubes are heated through and asparagus is tender-crisp. Serve hot.